Monday, September 27, 2010

Scary

I need a list now
To go to the provisions store
I can't remember
More than three items at a time
I'll buy the monkey mark appalam
Instead of the broom of the same brand
Forget the oil,
Then have to make another trip.
Even when I have written them all down
The shopkeeper can miss one or two
Forcing me to visit again.
("Thank you, but not so soon!")
I have better luck with the vegetables
Once the menu is decided
I can bring home the ingredients
All by myself, without any prompting.
Suddenly a scary thought arises
What if I can't remember who I am
Do not know
Where to go
How to speak or write
When I am somewhere
Surrounded by strangers.

3 comments:

P. Venugopal said...

Scary...I have someone home bedridden and in Alzhiemer's condition for the last nine years. I too have the memory problems you describe. It is most embarrassing when it happens with names. When that happens, I start with the letter 'A' rewinding in my mind the names I know and then proceed to B, C, etc. Sometimes after reaching Z I may have to start the cycle again. Sometimes I get the name only after quite some time, sometimes not at all.

Prabhakar said...

I once reproduced an entire interview from memory after the audio tape had failed. The brain now remembers visuals more; images long buried in the unconscious float to the surface; doctors recommend memory exercises for the brain.

P. Venugopal said...

I too used to have confidence in reproducing interviews from memory. But not nowadays, because of the insistence now to be EXACT. Now I am as exact as a straight line, or am not in it at all. I shall look into memory exercises seriously, but Prabhakar, I am not worried either. Memory is a problem now, but the brain is surprisingly superactive.