Wednesday, July 6, 2011

At a family wedding

Every time I'm confronted
With a relative's face
I'm supposed
To know and don't
I see that the other person
Is surprised
That I do not really know him
When he is so well known
And cannot believe
Someone has not even heard of him;
I often find the other
Reeling off impressive
Statistics about himself
Like a poll candidate
Declaring his assets
Wanting me to be
Conscious of who
I am talking to;
I can even imagine him
Breaking into commercials
Like a television
And suddenly flash on his shirt
Logos, stickers and sponsors
Like a brand ambassador;
I find simple questions
Like how are you
Being interpreted
As how well off are you
And what are you
Misheard as what are you worth;
I keep looking for the one
Who says with a smile
That he is just about solvent
And talks of people he misses.

2 comments:

P. Venugopal said...

there is some kind of insecurity in most of us. we want reassurance from outside about our importance. don't you know i am so and so?...please take a look at a funny photo from my old files and the story behind it i have posted in my blog.

Prabhakar said...

Venu, Can you email the post to me. My server is pretty slow.