Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Madhari*

We wouldn't know

A guest from god

So we treat one as 

We would the other

We didn't know 

The one we hosted now

Was a goddess

Who when wronged

Would show no mercy

To king or his subjects

Somehow we too failed her ---

We, whose ancestors saved

The dark god-child from the tyrant ---

What would I say to the saint

Who put the two in our hands?

How we sent them to die --

Our guests from far

Looking for redemption?

How would I face my kin?

Who would absolve me of my guilt?

The fire she brought down on the city

Did not spread this far

She may have asked it to spare me

Not in any way faulting me for her fate

But how could I not take the blame

As did my king and his queen?

Let these flames of the waste heap

Burn me and rid me of my shame

Let the legends say what guests meant to us

And what we did when we somehow failed them.


* Madhari hosted Kannagi-Kovalan in Madurai




No comments: